Home Improvement Contractors and Mechanic’s Liens

What is a mechanics lien?

Connecticut permits a person who supplies labor or materials for a construction project to claim a mechanics  lien against the improved property. Connecticut permit the filing of a document with the local land records that puts parties interested in the property on notice that the party asserting the lien has a claim.

States differ widely in the method and time within which a party may act on their lien. Also varying widely are the requirements of written notices between property owners, contractors, subcontractors and laborers, and in some cases lending institutions. As a general rule, these statutes serve to prevent unpleasant surprises by compelling parties who wish to assert their legal rights to put all parties who might be interested in the property on notice of a claim or the possibility of a claim.  Parties seeking to know more about construction laws in Connecticut should contact Kane, Hartley & Kane directly.

Do you have a Mechanic's Lien issue?

Who can claim a mechanics lien in Connecticut?

Connecticut law permits any person with a claim for more than ten dollars for materials furnished or services rendered in the construction, raising, removal, or repair of a building, or the development of any lot or plot, to claim a mechanics lien. Conn. Gen. Stat. §49-33.

How long does a party have to claim a Mechanics Lien?

A party seeking to claim a lien must record (lodge) a Certificate of Lien in the local land records within ninety (90) days after the cessation of the furnishing of substantial labor and materials, and serves a true and attested copy on the property owner prior to the lodging of the certificate but not later than thirty (30) days after lodging the certificate. Conn. Gen. Stat. §49-34.

What kind of notice is required prior to claiming a mechanic’s lien?

Original contractors and subcontractors who have the written permission of the party contracting for the improvements are the only parties that may clam a lien unless a Notice of Intent is served upon the property owner. This notice serves to advise the property owner that materials and services are being provided and by whom.

 By what method is a lien claimed in Connecticut?

To claim a lien, a party must file a Certificate of Lien. The Certificate states the date of commencement of furnishing of materials or services, and the amount currently due. The Certificate is recorded with the town clerk of the town in which the property is situated and a true and attested copy must be served upon the property owner. Conn. Gen. Stat. §49-34.

How long is a mechanic’s lien good for?

A mechanic’s lien shall not continue in force for a longer period than one year after the lien has been perfected, unless the party claiming the lien commences a legal action to foreclose it within that period.

Are mechanic’s liens assignable?

With the exception of regional water and sewer authorities, Connecticut law does not provide for the assignment of liens.

How does a Homeowner challenge the Mechanic’s Lien?

Connecticut law provides that if a lien is invalid, a party with an interest in the property (such as an owner) may demand that the lien holder provide a release. Failure to comply with this request within thirty (30) days will permit the party in interest to bring a legal action. The court is empowered to award that party damages that result from the lien holder’s refusal to provide a release. Conn. Gen. Stat. §49-51.

Does Connecticut permit the use of a bond to release a mechanic’s lien?

Yes. Connecticut law allows a property owner whose property is encumbered with a lien to make an application to the Superior Court that the lien be dissolved, and/or substituted by a bond. Conn. Gen. Stat. §49-37

Do you have a Mechanic's Lien issue?

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This